Thursday, December 11, 2014

Sales Cold Calling Scares Me To Death

In one form or another we all are walking talking sales people. If you watch a movie or buy a product ,nothing stops you from telling the world about how great it was. I am in a marketing business where I have to cold call on business owners to help them promote their business more efficiently. Walking around and talking to owners face to face does not scare me as much as calling on the phone.

I don't know what it is about picking up the phone and calling people that scares me to death. It would seem like calling on the phone would be much easier but for some reason the phone feels like a 1,000 LB weight. When I do finally get the nerve up to call I do very well at talking to prospects. Once  I get my steam built up I call a few dozen leads and then quit for a while.

My wife says I sound very good on the phone but there is just something about the phone that creeps me out. I can talk to a total stranger on the street but give me a phone # to call and I crack like an egg. Somewhere some scientist has come up with a name like phonaphoba or something like that. I am trying to do motivational videos and such to conquer my fears.

 I am not the only one that has this problem with phone calling. I was a salesman at a car dealer and when it came time to call customers from the orphan list everyone hid. The more I have to call people the better I get at this. It just takes setting your mind to picking up the phone and calling. Before every phone calling session I sit at my desk and concentrate on the outcome of talking to that one right prospect.

The hardest thing with having your own business is getting motivated especially after a bad day. Think about the positive results that will come about from calling prospects and by all means watch motivational videos.

Mark Whitney
Marketing Service 
It's no mistake they put Mark in marketing. Don't leave him out of yours!    

PS. If you get really scared check out this video I found on youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment